Pan Cooking Recipes
Apple Pie Oats
This recipe makes 6 – 1 cup servings.
1 cup of steel cut oats*
3 diced apples (I use Gala)
1 cup apple juice (I use Oasis)
3 cups water
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes, or until it reaches the consistency that you like.
- Delicious when topped with a drizzle of organic maple syrup, honey, a sprinkle of brown sugar, or with another dash of cinnamon.
- Once cooked, this recipe keeps very well in the fridge for a couple of days.
Mountain Man Breakfast
A tasty lunch or dinner for six.
1⁄2 lb bacon, cut into small pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (32 ounce) bag frozen hash brown potatoes
12 eggs, beaten
salt & pepper
1 lb cheddar cheese, grated
8 ounces salsa
- Fry bacon and onion together.
- Remove bacon and onion and drain on paper towels. Wipe excess grease out of dutch oven.
- Fry hash brown potatoes.
Add onions and bacon.
- Pour beaten eggs over mixture, cover and cook until almost solid. Season to taste.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Cover until cheese is melted.
- Serve with salsa.
Chicken and Yellow Rice
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 T. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
½ red bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine or pressed
1 large tomato, chopped or 1 small can diced tomatoes
½ tsp. cumin powder
½ tsp. oregano powder
½ tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. annatto or powdered yellow coloring (Spanish food aisle)
1 c. Uncle Ben’s rice
2 c. water
1 large chicken bouillon cube (Knorr)
Salt & pepper to taste after rice is done
- Heat 1 tsp. oil in large pot. Sear chicken thighs on both sides. Remove & set aside.
Add 2 tsp. oil to same pot. Add vegetables & sauté until soft. Add spices, rice, water, & bouillon.
- Mix in chicken. Bring mix to boil, cover, & lower heat to a low simmer.
- Cook 25 min. undisturbed. Check to make sure all water is absorbed (continue cooking until water is absorbed). Fluff with a fork.
Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken
2 chicken breasts, skinned & boned
2 tsp. oil
1 lb. fettuccine noodles
½ a stick of butter
½ – 1 c. heavy cream or ½ & ½
Salt & pepper to taste
½ c. plus extra for sprinkling, Parmesean cheese, grated
Garlic powder, to taste
Italian seasoning, to taste
- Cut chicken breast lengthwise to make 4 cutlets. Heat oil on med., add cutlets and cook 3-4 min. Turn cutlets over and cook through (make sure chicken is not pink inside). Set aside.
- Make noodles according to package directions. Drain well in colander.
- Put noodles back in pot. Add butter & stir until melted and noodles are covered. Add cream, cheese, and spices.
- Cut chicken up in small pieces, add to fettuccine and heat through. Sprinkle extra cheese on top when serving.
Spaghetti and Meatballs
½ medium onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 pound ground beef
½ cup bread crumbs (if desired)
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 large eggs
½ tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. dried basil
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 (28 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbs. dried basil
1 tbs. dried italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
3 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbs. finely chopped parsley
Cook onions and garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat until softened (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. In a large bowl, add the onion/garlic mixture and all the other ingredients. Combine everything by hand until well mixed. Firmly form 1” meatballs by hand. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Brown meatballs on all sides. Once browned, move meatballs to a paper towel to drain some of the fat.
Prepare tomato sauce while meatballs are baking.
Cook onions and garlic in oil in a pot over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes and simmer sauce uncovered until slightly thickened for 10 minutes and liquid is reduced. Add oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring on occasion, then turn to a low heat. Transfer meatballs into the pot, cover and simmer for about an hour.
Putting it all together
Cook a 1 lb box of spaghetti to al dente, drain, and plate it. Place a few spoonfuls of sauce on top of the noodles followed by meatballs. Finish it off with a couple tablespoons of parsley and grated cheese.