250 a Route 25A
Shoreham, NY 11786
On September 30, 2018, Troop 161 of Shoreham and the entire Suffolk County Council scouting family was affected by the tragic crash that took place as this group of boys and leaders were on a Sunday hike. As a result of this crash, scout Andrew McMorris passed away.
This September 30, 2019 Suffolk County Council invites scouters, family and friends to join us to “finish the hike” that Andrew and the rest of Troop 161 started 1 year ago. Before and after the hike, at Shoreham-Wading River High School, the concession stand will be open, the scout shop will have a table with merchandise available for purchase, we will have a recruitment table for those interested in joining one of our programs, the McMorris Foundation will have a booth set up and we’ll have a DJ to keep the mood light and our spirits high!
1. The hike can take place in either 1 mile, 5 miles (half hike) or 10 miles (full hike). Your party can be divided up into multiple distances. Please make note in the registration below how many from your party will participate in each distance.
2. Please try to register as either a unit or group instead of individuals. This will make assigning hike times easier. Please also have a roster of everyone in your group ready at check in.
3. Day of hike check in will take place at Shoreham-Wading River High School in Shoreham. Here your group will board a bus to take you to the head of the trail.
4. To avoid backups on the trail each group that registers will be given a time slot and arrival time. Please make sure your entire group is aware of both those times and arrive at your given time.
5. Buses will be at the 1 mile and 5 mile checkpoints to bring those completing only those distances back to Shoreham-Wading River High School.
6. We do require that at least 2 adults accompany minors in your group at all times. This includes if part of your group only completes 1 or 5 miles, 2 adults must accompany those minors doing shorter distances back to the school and at least 2 adults staying with those minors continuing the hike.
7. The hike will take place on both road surfaces and wooded areas. Please wear proper attire, footwear and also if you are completing the 10 miles hike, pack a lunch. Everyone should also carry plenty of water.
8. We have partnered with the Town of Brookhaven and the Suffolk County Police Department to create a safe hiking event. The SCPD will assist with closing roads and providing escorts to hikers as they will cross some public roads at various points.
9. We ask that each group or hiker make a donation to either the Andrew McMorris lodge fund (to help complete the McMorris lodge at Baiting Hollow Scout Camp. That donation can be taken directly through the registration form below) or to the Andrew McMorris Foundation which you can access at this link: Andrew McMorris Foundation